Tips for the Use of Polywire
Similar to Polyropes, Polywires consist of robust plastic threads, which are intertwined with different conducting materials. Wires with different strengths and various conductive materials are available and should be selected according to their intended use.
Because of its flexibility and tear resistance, Polywire is a very good option for both fencing-in and -out — such as a protective measure against wildlife habitat. Since the damage to agricultural fields equals millions in Germany, electric fences are increasingly being used.
Due to their high conductivity and fracture load, electric fences are particularly suitable for livestock farming. Since the Polywire is not as visible as Polytape, wires with signal colors are recommended to achieve optimal visibility for animals and humans.
Polywire offers powerful voltage even in long fences, because it has a low electrical resistance. A high-quality electric fence charger and regular inspection is necessary, of course, so that growing grass or bushes do not disturb the voltage. For more information on building an effective electric fence, you are welcome to order our free ebook (see below).
Tips for the Purchase of Polywire
- Polywire is mainly used for fencing cattle. Since these are sensitive to current and not as fast as horses (for which a more visible Polytape is necessary), wire is sufficient for secure fencing of cattle pastures.
- EconomyLine Polywire is suitable for short fences and portions of pastures, and is also available with cross-wound metal conductors. Their internal PE monofilaments are UV-resistant, robust and efficient.
- The Premium WildHog Polywire was developed specifically for warding off wildlife. Due to its blue color, it is visible for wild animals and the external tinned copper conductor wires guarantee effective animal contact.
- For medium to long fence systems, the TopLine Plus Polywire is recommended as the exceptionally conductive TriCOND wires makes it 5 times more effective and it provides a 4-year guarantee on UV stability.
- The Porsche among the litz wires is the PremiumLine Polywire. Because it consists of 10 strands of cross-braided PE monofilaments and a core of PP multifilaments, it is very flexible and is most effective in keeping your animals. The bundling of 6 Niro-conductors in combination with 3 thick copper conductors guarantees an extremely high conductivity. Since the conductor wires are permanently re-electrified and externally applied, optimal contact is ensured when animals touch the rope. Moreover, it is water-repellent and has a 5-year UV stability guarantee.
- Similarly for Polytape and -rope, we recommend buying a few Litzclip® fence connectors, which can be used to repair any breaks or cracks easily, quickly and without tools.
- As we have mentioned in the other 2 parts of our series, it is worth investing in top quality component parts (connectors, gate handles). High-quality parts made of stainless steel are always the best choice, especially when using copper conductors, and save you valuable maintenance time of your electric fence.
We hope you received some valuable information on the different conductive materials from our article series.